Recent Updates to Records in the CGP
In March 2022, Library Services and Content Management’s (LSCM’s) new authority control contractor, MARCIVE, updated and enhanced most of the bibliographic records in the Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP).
All of the following Library of Congress Subject Headings have been replaced as follows:
- Aliens > Noncitizens
- Illegal aliens > Noncitizens + Illegal immigration
- Children of illegal aliens > Children of noncitizens + Illegal immigration
- Illegal alien children > Noncitizen children + Illegal immigration
- Women illegal aliens > Women noncitizens + Illegal immigration
- Alien detention centers > Noncitizen detention centers
- 76,666 bib records have had Library of Congress (LC) classification numbers added
- Addition of content/media/carrier fields (336/337/338)
- Addition of some Genre/Form terms
- Spelling out of abbreviations
In addition, over 4 million subfield $0 Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) have been added to access points. Identifiers, and specifically URIs, are a prerequisite for linked data models such as BIBFRAME. These URIs display only in the MARC view (or format) in the CGP. Records included in the Cataloging Record Distribution Program (CRDP) will currently be made available without the subfield $0 URIs, but the option for CRDP participating libraries to select these records with the subfields is being investigated for next fiscal year.