GPO’s Library Services & Content Management contributes to and supports four statutory programs:
- The Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP)
- The Cataloging & Indexing Program (C&I)
- The International Exchange Service (IES)
- The By-Law Program
Notable numbers provides a snapshot of the work done to support these programs.
- There are 1,110 libraries in the FDLP.
- In FDLP eXchange, there are 87 libraries offering in 26 regions.
- There are 46 libraries serving as Preservation Stewards.
- There is 1 library serving as a Digital Preservation Steward.
- There are 3 libraries serving as Cataloging and Metadata Contributors.
- There are 17 libraries serving as Digital Access Partners
- There are 7 libraries serving as Digital Content Contributors.
- FDLP LibGuides has had more than 133,000 views to the 165 guides offered.
- The FDLP Academy has hosted 627 webinars, with more than 78,000 combined registrants.
- FDLP conferences and events have hosted 9,953 virtual registrants since 2013.
- GPO has increased the size of the FDLP Web Archive collection to 44.5 TB, with over 454,000,000 URLs crawled.
FY 2022 Statistics (October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022)
- 256 Federal depository libraries, or 23% of all depositories, participated in the Cataloging Record Distribution Program.
- Ben’s Guide to the U.S. Government saw 413,967 user sessions (958,469 page views).
- FDLP.gov saw 182,032 user sessions (470,668 page views).
- There have been 35,832,256 successful searches of the Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP).
LSCM staff have:
- Distributed 4,371 titles.
- Distributed 644,874 copies of materials to FDLP libraries.
- Added 15,948 new cataloging records to the CGP, of which 10,715 (67%) contained PURLs to full-text publications..
- Checked in 25,998 serial issues to the CGP and created 238 publication patterns for serial titles.
- Identified 1,727 previously-uncataloged Serial & Integrated Resource (IR) titles and created new bibliographic records.
- Resolved 6,975 askGPO inquiries.
Program for Cooperative Cataloging Statistics:
- Authority records: 1,152 authority records created & updated.
- NACO: 1,077 name authority records created & updated.
- SACO: 75 subject authority records created & updated.
- BIBCO: 12,000 records created.
- CONSER: 2,499 records created and updated.
- Newly authenticated CONSER records: 1,487.
- Updated records: 1,012.
|Collections within repositories||9|
|*Total records (Includes multiple copies of the same records in different files.)||2,288,053|
|Record display pages||2|
CGP Data Dashboard
In March 2022, LSCM’s Federal Depository Support Systems (FDSS) and Library Technical Services (LTS) collaborated on the planning, design, and launch of the CGP Data Dashboard. The purpose of the dashboard is to visualize various aspects of the bibliographic records for Federal Government information products in the CGP. The dashboard is the start of our exploration of the CGP as a data set. LSCM plans to use CGP data to tell stories about Federal Government information, the FDLP, and LSCM’s work.
For the first iteration of the dashboard, LTS extracted the following data points from the 7,700 records cataloged by LTS staff members from July through December 2021:
- Chronological coverage
- Based on the publication dates in the MARC 264 fields.
- Geographic coverage
- Based on the geographic area codes in the MARC 043 fields.
- Links to the CGP records in the dashboard map.
- Issuing agencies
- Based on the Superintendent of Documents Classification agency classes in the MARC 086 fields.
- Unreported publications
- Government information products that are not discoverable in the CGP.
- For more details, please see the Reporting Publications page.
- Based on the local codes in the MARC 922 fields.
In December 2022, LTS refreshed the dashboard with data from the approximately 8,800 records cataloged by LTS staff members from January through June 2022. LTS will periodically repeat this process and add new data points.
To maximize the size of each dashboard box, click on the circular icon in the upper right-hand corner. To minimize the box, click on the icon again.
Please send us your feedback and questions about dashboard by submitting an inquiry in the “Cataloging/Metadata (Policy and Records)” category via askGPO.