In FY2009, the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) developed and implemented a formal Customer Relations Program (CRP) for Federal depository libraries.
The CRP allows GPO to better serve depository library needs based upon unique characteristics (e.g., library segment) and data analysis. It also allows GPO to monitor and document its business operations to ensure the agency is supplying good customer care, responding to mission requirements, and requesting performance feedback from depository libraries.
Developing such a program is consistent with GPO’s and the FDLP’s strategic planning for the future. The program will also help GPO's aims to strengthen collaborative relationships with depository libraries.
The goals of the CRP are:
- Identify needed improvements in services for and communication with Federal depository libraries, address identified needs, and use quantitative metrics for success measures.
- Identify, report, and address needed improvements in business processes that support services provided to Federal depository libraries.
GPO contracted with Outsell, Inc. to develop and administer data gathering for these activities:
- Segmentation Survey (May/June 2009)
To develop an understanding of the number and characteristics of various types of libraries that make up the Federal Depository Library Program and to map these libraries to specified library types.
- Needs Assessment Survey (October 2009 - February 2010)
To learn “how well we are doing” with the services GPO provides to depositories and to determine “what we need to do next”, from the perspective of depository library staff, in order to better support depository library needs. GPO incorporated the needs assessment into an abbreviated pdf2009 Biennial Survey (176 KB) .
- pdfFull Report (7.97 MB)
- pdfReport with Aggregate Overview (3.68 MB)
- Reports by Library Segment: pdfAcademic (822 KB) | pdfPublic (1.02 MB) | pdfFederal (963 KB) | pdfState (803 KB)
- defaultIndividual Responses Raw File (456 KB)
- pdfQuestion Value Map (167 KB) (can be used to decipher library responses contained in the individual responses raw file)
- defaultComments Raw File (35 KB)
- Depository Library User Survey (October 18, 2010 – March 4, 2011)
In its efforts to address the value of FDLP membership and to determine baseline outcomes-based performance measures, GPO, working with Outsell, Inc. and the Depository Library Council, developed a survey for depository library users. The survey garnered over 3,300 responses from users of nearly 550 depository libraries, yielding a 95% confidence level ±1.7%. Submissions were well distributed both geographically and across different library types. The final report conveys the overall survey results and compares results by library segment and by selective and regional designations:
- pdfFDLP Users Speak: The Value and Performance of Libraries Participating in the FDLP (673 KB) (July 28, 2011)
Outsell generated Individual library reports conveying the results of the depository library user survey. The reports contain charts that compare the library’s results with the aggregated results for its state or territory, library sector, and for all libraries. Any comments made by users are included. Though not all depository libraries had users who participated in the survey, all libraries have a report available to them. If your library had no respondents, the report conveys aggregated results for your state or territory and for all libraries.
- For more information and downloading instructions, see "Library Reports for Depository User Survey Available".
The survey instrument is available in the askGPO Knowledge Base.