Superintendent of Documents Public Policy Statement (SOD-PPS-2022-1), Regional Depository Libraries Selecting Solely Online Materials, permits regional depository libraries to select “EL” or online as a format, without also requiring selection of an equivalent tangible version.
- Publication eligibility requirements:
- An equivalent version is accessible from GovInfo, from the digital repository of a Digital Preservation Steward, or from trusted digital repositories of Federal agencies.
- A Print Selector or “day forward” Preservation Steward agreement in the regional’s National Collection Service Area (NCSA), who agrees to select and retain the print format for either a specified period of time (Print Selector) or in perpetuity (Preservation Steward). See below.
- Authorization for regionals to select a title in online format only is granted by the Superintendent of Documents.
Regional Online Selection Authorizations by NCSA
Titles authorized for Regional Online Selection within a National Collection Service Area are listed on each NCSA web page. Authorizations for eligible titles may vary from one NCSA to the next.
Print Selectors commit to select and retain print publications that supersede on an established publication schedule. After the volume/issue/edition of that title supersedes, Print Selectors are allowed to discard those editions.
|Print Selector||Depository Library #||NCSA|
|Illinois State Library||0140||Midwest|
|State Library of Ohio||0460||Midwest|
|University of Minnesota, Government Publications Library||0295||Midwest|
|Newark Public Library||0376||Northeast|
|State Library of Pennsylvania||0508||Northeast|
|Augusta University, Reese Library||0127||South|
|Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Paul M. Herbert Law Center||0231||South|
|Texas State Library & Archives Commission||0591||South|
|University of North Carolina, Wilmington, William M. Randall Library||0448A||South|
|University of South Carolina, Columbia, Thomas Cooper Library||0562||South|
|Vanderbilt University, Central Library||0580||South|
|University of Memphis, Ned R. McWherter Library||0590A||South|
|Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, Alaska State Library - Government Publications||0016||West|
|University of Colorado Law School, William A. Wise Law Library||0074C||West|
Serving as a Print Selector is a valuable way to contribute to the National Collection. While agreeing to provide public access to the print format of a Federal Government title in your depository collection for a specified period of time, you are also serving other depository libraries in your NCSA. If you believe your library can support the National Collection in this manner, please consider volunteering to become a Print Selector.
Instructions to become a Print Selector
- Download and complete the Print Selector Agreement for the title or titles your library volunteers to select in print format and retain for the minimum retention period.
- Submit the Print Selector Agreement via askGPO.
- Category: Other depository library question or issue
- Upload signed agreement.
- GPO will add the Print Selector Agreement to your library’s official file
Presentations and Webinars
- Webinar: Draft Policy: Regional Depository Libraries Online Selections (March 30, 2021)
- Virtual Meeting: Print Selectors and Regional Online Selections (August 19, 2021)